Learn about the Cosmos with our 3D Astrotour theatre, view planets & stars with our modern & historical telescopes.
To book a visit, contact our Science Officer, on 0429 199 312, all viewing times need to be booked.
Due to daylight savings time the following open times apply: NB The Observatory is open later if there is a booking.
For viewing at the telescopes, the viewing start time is after 9.30pm for summer.
The Third Rock Cafe is open Tuesday – Saturday 5-8pm bookings essential (03 5332 7526 between 5 and 8pm Tuesday – Saturday or 0429 199 312 outside these hours.) Bookings essential – for Menu click here.
Our Science Shop is open Tuesday – Saturday 5-8pm and later on Fri- Sat if viewing is still in process.
Sun – Mon the Observatory is closed unless there is a pre – arranged booking
or special event on.
For help in planning your visit, refer to the Diary of Phenomena below and the Frequently Asked Questions.
To Subscribe to our Events listing click here to download the iCal Calendar onto your iPhone, iPad or Computer
3rd Rock Cafe Position
Casual Position with a view to a long term position for a creative, industrious person with excellent culinary and management skills to expand the 3rd Rock Cafe. Resume to email@example.com , 0429 199 312 for more information.
What’s on at the Observatory
- GLOBE at Night on December 27, 2013 1:00 am
- Summer School Holiday Program 2015 on December 23, 2014 8:00 pm
- Starry Summer Night – The Sci-Fi Event on January 31, 2015 6:00 pm
- Backyard Tasters – Final Event for 2015 comes to Ballarat Observatory on March 6, 2015 5:30 pm
- Starry Autumn Nights 2015 on March 28, 2015 6:00 pm
- Heritage 2015 – Conflict to Cosmos – The Story of Radio Astronomy on April 2, 2015 3:00 pm
- Ballarat Foto Biennale on August 22, 2015 2:00 pm
Diary of Astronomical Phenomena
How good is your backyard sky? Find out here- Light Pollution-What is It?